10 things the UK government must do
We have the technology, a zero emissions society is possible!
- Commit to net zero greenhouse gas emissions by 2040 – and create a clear timeline for action. By targeting 2040, the UK can show global leadership and help build climate justice.
- Launch an inclusive process to build cross-party consensus on an ambitious climate action plan to allow a consistent, coherent approach regardless of who is in and out of power over the next 20 years.
- Phase out fossil fuels fast. Follow the lead of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland and stop fracking now. Stop burning coal.
- Invest in renewable energy, including on-shore and off-shore wind, powering up our clean energy supply.
- Support a nationwide programme to insulate the UK’s housing stock, allowing us to power down our energy demand.
- Transform agricultural subsidies to support a food system that is good for the environment and for our health.
- Radically increase UK tree cover and enhance other natural climate solutions like soils and peatlands.
- Invest in joined-up affordable public transport, and in better infrastructure for walking and cycling.
- Cut flights through a frequent flyer levy – and scrap the third runway at Heathrow.
- Pay our historic debts – the UK and other long-industrialised nations grew wealthy on the back of burning fossil fuels; climate justice demands that we take ambitious action now, and provide both financial and technical support for less developed countries to help with mitigation and adaptation measures.